BDsoft DeskMaster - Features
- Despite still being under construction, the BDsoft DeskMaster is yet capable of doing quite a lot of things. Some are implemented already quite well, others are still awaiting a little "polishing". I guess it's like with most software...
- The following list may give a short overview about some of the modules of the BDsoft DeskMaster and their functions. The list is not comprehensive at all and does refer to the current version - which is not identical to the ones available for free download on this page.
Overview on some modules
- A small address book application you may use to organize your contacts. It supports several addresses per person, commercial and private contacts and a contact categorization for an easier overview.
- There is a basic support for VCards as well.
- A very simple timer which can be either used as timer or alarm clock.
- A small tool to put down notes on your computer, e.g. about things you still need to do. If the task is linked to a certain point of time or more complex, the Organizer or the ProjectManager modules may be more suitable, but for basic things it's quite sufficient.
- BackUp is a module to compress and decompress files. The preferred format are ".BackUp" files, but normal ".zip" files can also be handled.
- CalcCell is planned to become a replacement for Microsoft Excel. However, Excel is really good and thus replacement will take until the year 3000 or so, I guess...
- The CDPlayer is a module not really improved since years, as it has been years ago since I last listened to a CD using my computer. It seems as if this part was going to be removed someday...
- This module used to be a lean ICQ client. And it was for some time. Then ICQ changed their protocol and nothing worked anymore...
- Currently you it is in an experimental state for some simple chat and voice functions.
Client / Server
- The Server module is a small program to control other BDsoft DeskMasters via the Client part or other Computer running the BDsoft ShutDownClient. It provides basic functions for controlling the remote computer via the network, e.g. to shut it down, move the mouse, press keys etc. You can collect screenshots and even webcam images (if allowed by the client).
- The Client module is more or less comparable to the BDsoft ShutDownClient, but shows a different design and some more rights for the user...
- A small tool to view and manipulate Paradox and dBase files, especially via SQL.
- Enigma provides some functions about encrypting and decrypting files, "safe" wiping of files, steganography and password managing.
- The password safe is very useful to store important data in an encrypted database, locked with one central key. This key is not stored in the database itself. Thus, if you use the wrong key, the database will open but just show nonsense. You may also print the stored data in an encrypted form. This may help to keep your stored important data even after a severe crash of your computer...
- The FileFinder can be used to find files. This is not so special. But it can also find duplicates of a file, which may be sometimes quite useful to clean up your computer.
- As with the FileFinder, "nomen est omen". Thus, the FileManager may be used to manage files. It provides comparable functions to the Windows Explorer but also some additional features...
- A small tool to upload and download files via FTP. There seems to be a massive problem in the used third-party component, thus the development is somehow stuck. But this seems a problem of many FTP programs I've seen. However, on good days it works already quite well...
- This part of the program can be used to automate other programs.
- A list of the available commands and the syntax can be found here.
- ShutDown can shut down the local computer (remote computers are shut down via the Server module) at a certain date, at a certain time (e.g. every Friday at 20:00), after losing the network connection, after a certain idle time etc.
- If supported by the OS and the hardware, it can also wake up the computer again at a certain date.
- The HexEditor is still more a HexViewer. So you can view the content of any file with it. You can also change the content, but right now you may not change the total size of the file.
- The ImageEditor can be used to view and modify images. There is also a measuring tool implemented. It supports some of the most important image file formats but is far away from being a "Photoshop" replacement...
- The InfoCenter is a collection of several small tools, which display information about the system (e.g. hard disks, memory, printers). Years ago, this module was the starting point for the complete development of the BDsoft DeskMaster...
- CashBook may be used as cash book. So it can help you to keep track of your money - and where it's "leaking" to...
- Another e-mail client. Currently there is still only experimental IMAP support, as I'm still sticking to POP3.
- During the years the MailManager has become some nice features and I'm usually pretty happy with it in every day use. If you're coming from another e-mail client, you may require some "acclimatization"...
- MathCalc is a small calculator program that can also cope with equations. Besides calculating, it can plot graphs and do some conversion between a lot of units (e.g. km in miles, degrees Celsius in degrees Fahrenheit, degrees in quadrants, Maxwell in Weber, ...)
- The MediaMachine is the BDsoft DeskMaster module for playing media files (mp3, wav, mpg, ...). It provides playlists and some other nice features. However, on some machines mp3 do not work - depending on the installed Windows MediaPlayer.
- After finishing a playlist you may shut down your computer via the ShutDown module...
- Some utilities for the network, e.g. trace the route to or ping another computer. You can also keep an eye on the amount of data transferred to and from your computer and about WLAN signal strength...
- Most of the options of the single modules of the BDsoft DeskMaster are controlled from this Options module.
- The ProjectManager is quite comparable to the Organizer but has a focus on non-recurring tasks which are in general more complex. E.g. they require longer, can be in more complex states (e.g. 75 % done), can have several predecessors or successors etc.
- The ServiceManager is - up to now - in principle a simple automated back up or mirroring tool. So you set up a "Service" and the program will automatically back up the specified files or copy them to another drive.
- Old versions of the copied files may be kept compressed and/or with a timestamp.
- The Organizer can be used to organize your time and schedule your dates. Recurring dates are supported with several time rules.
- You can connect a date with a category and persons (coming from the AddressBook).
- An Organizer date can only be "not done yet" or "done". If you need more complex states, try the ProjectManager part. If this also does not fit your needs, contact us for a "new function request"...
- A small editor for texts. There is a basic spelling correction and some other nice features as well, but a lot of formatting and printing stuff is still missing.
- WebCam is a module to connect and capture webcams. The images of the webcam can be saved with some rules, e.g. every x seconds, only if the image has changed for more than x percent etc.
- The module may also be used in connection with the Server module to set up a basic "surveillance" system...
- The WebViewer is based on the Microsoft Internet Explorer control. It was created to add a support for tabs for older versions of the Internet Explorer (up to 6.0). As the used control is not too well documented, there are still a lot of things missing...
This page requires a CSS 2 compliant browser for proper display. Older browsers may not work correctly...